Sunday, April 08, 2007

Lip Service, the series

No Child Left Behind.

The Clear Skies Initiative.

These are two of the programs inflicted on us by our industrious elected officials, for our own good. It's their way of making our lives better, letting us know that we'll be raped and sodomized for our protection.

We live in a time when the appearance of a thing is of profound importance, and the thing itself means nothing, it's nowhere in the picture, and has no place there - it's all smoke and mirrors and camera tricks and carnival stunts, but there's nothing under that tent, not a goddamned thing. In its biggest moments, we get these insultingly stupid programs from Dick and Dubya and Karl and the Gang. How the hell we fall for this crap is beyond me, but as a nation, we do. These guys have made an art form of pissing on your head and telling you it's raining, and gotten away with it like no one before them.

But they didn't invent it, and we've been buying the ruse for as long as I've been aware. And it goes on at every level - it's insidious, and it has become so transparent that we've become blind to it, in fact we expect it.

And while I may not have the patience or the desire, or even the credentials or the audience to fight the big stuff, I can try to attack the little stuff - those annoying everday occurences that we don't even see anymore.

So, in that spirit, I've decided to do what I can to call bullshit! whenever possible, and to bring it to you in a continuing series called LIP SERVICE.

That's right, I'm here to protect you. I'm here to see that you don't get cheated and swindled, hoodwinked and bamboozled. I've got your back, I'm a public advocate, the Ralph Nader of the Design world.

Ok. That's more lip service. I just have an extremely low tolerance for bullshit, and it makes me want to jump up and down and yell, and for as long as you decide to sit here, you have to listen to me. The good news is, you might learn something that'll keep you from getting duped by some delusional clown with a broad vocabulary.

I mean, come on - who wants to let themselves get suckered by a guy who's greatest accomplishment is high scores on his SAT's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home